WHAT IS ANXIETY? SYMPTOMS OF ANXIETY DISORDER AND ANXIETY TREATMENT OPTIONS
September 30th, 2015
Anxiety is an emotion that every human experiences at certain points in their lives. Some people feel anxious or nervous before taking a test or speaking in public. Others may experience anxiety when they are faced with a problem at work or making an important decision at home. However, when this anxiety begins to interfere with a person’s ability to lead a normal life, this could be a sign of an anxiety disorder.
What are the Symptoms of Anxiety Disorder?
An anxiety disorder is a serious mental illness. Those who suffer from anxiety disorders are constantly experiencing worry or fear that can become overwhelming and sometimes crippling.
There are many types of anxiety disorders, including panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and specific phobias.
The symptoms will vary depending on the disorder. However, these general symptoms may be a sign that a person has an anxiety disorder:
- Constant feelings of fear, panic, or uneasiness
- Difficulty falling or staying asleep
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pains or heart palpitations
- The inability to stay calm or still
- Nausea and dizziness
- Muscle tension
- Numbness or tingling in hands or feet
What are the Treatment Options for Anxiety?
The best treatment option for anxiety disorders will depend on the disorder, symptoms, and person. However, most treatment options include one or a combination of the following therapies:
- Psychotherapy – This is a type of counseling that addresses the emotional aspects of mental illness. Trained mental health professionals help people by discussing strategies for understanding and dealing with their disorder.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy – This is the process where a person learns how to recognize and change their thought patterns and behaviors to avoid experiencing upsetting feelings.
- Medication – There are a variety of drugs that are used to reduce the symptoms of anxiety disorders, including anxiety-reducing drugs and anti-depressants.
- Holistic therapies – Holistic therapies are also effective in helping people deal with anxiety triggers such as stress. These therapies include art therapy, equine facilitated psychotherapy, pet therapy, and changes to diet and lifestyle.
Getting Treatment for an Anxiety Disorder in Naples, FL
Are you experiencing challenges caused by anxiety? Do you know someone who is showing signs of an anxiety disorder? David Lawrence Center in Southwest Florida is ready to help you or your loved one cope with anxiety. We offer services for both children and adults who experience overwhelming anxiety or suffer from an anxiety disorder. Our caring and compassionate staff is standing by to answer any questions that you may have about how we can help you overcome these challenges.
For more information about our services, please contact us 24/7 at (239) 455-8500 or through our website here.